Find out what's happening in your operation:
When Canadian Poultry introduces new technologies for the farm, we often leave readers wondering “where are they now?” months or years later. Well, wonder no more. We’ve tracked several seemingly groundbreaking innovations and now we’re bringing you updates on how those innovations have panned out since we first presented them in our pages.
When the CracklessEgg broke onto the Canadian poultry scene in 2003, it was sorely needed. Before its invention, a way to easily and immediately measure impact jarring of eggs in order to minimize cracking was just a dream.
The CracklessEgg was invented by a young farmer from Prince Edward Island who first created a potato version (the SmartSpud) to reduce bruising during harvest and handling. The CracklessEgg mimics a real egg in shape, size and weight as it travels from the chicken to packing tray and beyond. While travelling along conveyor belts and elevators alongside real eggs, the CracklessEgg wirelessly transmits real-time data on the level of impact, velocity, temperature and more, allowing immediate adjustments to handling equipment – and immediate savings.
The CracklessEgg’s inventor founded Sensor Wireless, which was sold to Moncton, N.B.-based Masitek in 2010. In 2016, Masitek created two divisions: aaggrrii (for agricultural products such as the CracklessEgg and SmartSpud) and MMAAZZ (for beverage and other package handling applications).
CracklessEgg sales grew about 87 per cent from 2014 to 2016, with 20 per cent of sales currently going to the United States and the other 80 per cent going to other countries. Marketing director Teri Maltais says smaller farms do buy the system, but the majority of sales worldwide are to large farms and processors.
Last year all Masitek devices received an overhaul, with new sensor technology and an improved client web portal and app interface. The systems now offer double the impact sampling rate and battery life, better calculation of device velocity and bluetooth capability. For more, visit aaggrrii.com.
To read more on this full article visit: http://bit.ly/2rkKPaM